Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default You can come get the money I owe you...

On Jun 16, 10:26*am, "Bill" wrote:
These self-centered "me" generation people are really something!

I did some free remodeling work for a young friend about 10 months ago.
Prior to doing this work, my friend assured me he would reimburse me for all
the materials I needed buy to do the work...

When I was done with the work, I gave him a copy of all the receipts for
things I had purchased as well as an itemized list and total amount he owed
me. Again my labor was free.

So the months rolled by and not a single dime came my way. But in the mean
time, my friend purchased all sorts of expensive "toys" for himself (he
makes very good money). Like fancy wheels/tires for his car (the old tires
were fine), a new very expensive entertainment system for his house, and on
and on.

I kept reminding him of the money owed to me...

Well after 10 months of this, he finally mentioned something about paying
me. He said he would total up the receipts I gave him. I again gave him a
copy if the itemized list I have given him 10 months prior.

After a couple of weeks, he called me and said "You can come and get the
money I owe you!"

I think I will try this with my electric bill. I'll call the electric
company and tell them I have the money for their bill and they can come and
pick it up!

Geeze these people are really something!

a young friend

If this person is really a friend (or even if not) then you owe it to
him to sit him down and explain the correct way to treat people.

As the older and wiser individual in this relationship, you should
take this opportunity to help him out. Invite him to meet you for a
cup of coffee at a diner or some other neutral location, ask him to
bring the payment and spend a few minutes calmly explaining to him
everything you just told us.

If he takes it as an insult and not as constructive criticism, then he
wasn't a friend. As long as you got your money back, send him on his
way, knowing that you did the right thing by trying to help.

You might be surprised - while he might be insulted at first - as his
defenses take control - your words might sink in eventually.

P.S. Pay for the coffee.