Posted to alt.home.repair
Borrall Wonnell[_2_] Borrall Wonnell[_2_] is offline

Default deck step measurement (confused)

Wow, I never expected so many responses!! A few comments:

1) I considered the pre-made stringer (including metal) but the rise
was too tall.

2) This will be an enclosed step, so the 2x8 will not be notched like
a traditional stringer. Won't this be strong enough? I was planning
on slotting each step into the side of the 2x8s, and finishing up with
a traditional 2x12 stringer in the middle.

3) Love the 3-4-5 idea. Cardboard sounds like a nice follow-up. Now
if only I could cut a straight line with my circular saw

On Jun 16, 10:55*am, Big_Jake wrote:
I'd put this in the 'life's too short' category, and buy precut treated
stringers from the deck aisle at the Borg. At most, they will need a
little trimming to match the as-found conditions, and to make sure the
rise and tread depth are the same for all the steps.

Since most codes allow a riser height from 7" to 8" overall, what
makes you think the pre-cut stringers are going to be at the 7" riser
height that the OP requires? *If they are, say, 7 1/2", they won't
work, no matter how much "trimming" you do. *With a little careful
planning, cutting a set of stringers is a pretty easy project.

JK