Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default deck step measurement (confused)

"Borrall Wonnell" wrote in message
I have stumbled onto something that I don't know how to accurately
measure.

I've got a low deck (21" above ground), and I am trying to cut 2x8
stringers to enclose the two required steps. I probably need some
support in the middle as well (3' span).

With the way most decks are built you will need 3 treads in order to
securely attach this to the deck.

The top tread will be equal to the surface of the deck.

I also vote for buying the pre-cut ones at the BORG. Trace the outline onto
heavy cardboard of a scrap of plywood and then adjust that until it fits.

Use that pattern to modify the rest of the stringers.

Ideally steps should be level or have a minor backward pitch toward the
deck. Never pitch them away from the deck.

Colbyt