Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Resin moulding

Frog wrote:
Huge wrote:
On 2009-06-16, Bernard Peek wrote:
In message , Frog
writes
How feasible is this to DIY? I'm supposing not but if anyone has ideas.

I want to make a guitar out of resin - the same stuff you see fancy
bog seats with embedded razor blades being made of. One piece body
and neck hopefully.
Making something that looked like a guitar would be pretty easy.
Making something that sounded halfway decent is likely to be very,
very hard and you may have to work by trial and (repeated) error.

I suspect he means an electric guitar, in which case it matters very
little
what it's made of.

Yep. I'd never consider an acoustic resin instrument. I think that'd
sound horrid. It'd be about say inch cross section resin, rounded edges
though. That sort of thickness. I don't think that with an under bridge
peizo pickup it'd make much difference what it was made of. Some, but
probably not a lot - at least not enough to make a difference for this
purpose.

Probably easier if you have an old one to copy. You could set it in
plaster to make a mould.
Or maybe you could use a ply base and fibreglass a few layers on top. At
least that way you'd have some strength for the neck.
As you'll have realised, I know bugger all about it :-)