Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike rock Mike rock is offline

Default deck step measurement (confused)

I'd put this in the 'life's too short' category, and buy precut treated
stringers from the deck aisle at the Borg. At most, they will need a
little trimming to match the as-found conditions, and to make sure the
rise and tread depth are the same for all the steps.

Those "pre-made" stringers are fine provided they are the correct
riser and tread, in the OP's case it must be 7" step and 11" tread.

For 36" wide, I would use 3
stringers. Even with 2x6 treads, a 24" span in center will feel bouncy
for larger folks.

A 2X6 can safely span 24" with no problem. I have a 5 foot wide stairs
with 3 stringers and there is 25" between each stringer and I have no
problems with bounce