Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default PEX and compressed air

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

I did not know for sure, but I was thinking that water would sort of
squirt out if the pipe burst,but air would rush out much faster and give a
faster release of enegery. That would propel the shards much faster.
Where I work we extrude melted plastic under 1500 psi from a hole 3/8
inches in diameter but it is so thick that is just barley gets out of the
pipe. Water under that same pressure would go across the room. I sort of
think water vers air at 100 psi would act similar.

Water cannot be compressed like air, thus it does not hold the energy that
air can release. When pressure testing at very high pressure, water is the
norm for that reason.