Posted to uk.d-i-y
ac1951[_2_] ac1951[_2_] is offline

Default Contactum RCBO- am I doing something wrong

On Jun 16, 12:02*pm, John Rumm wrote:
ac1951 wrote:
Hi all,

I just fitted a Contactum 20A RCBO into a Contactum 17th edition CU.
I installed it on one of the non RCD protected ways.

I have connected the blue wire from the RCBO to the incoming Nuetral
bar and this is also the point where the CCT (being supplied by the
new RCBO) Neutral is connected.

This sounds like the area where you probably have the problem.

Both the line and neutral from the circuit need to connect to the RCBO -
note the neutral does not connect to the busbar in the CU. The neutral
wire from the RCBO must in turn connect to the busbar.

However, as soon as anything is connected to the cct the RCBO trips.
I have moved the cct onto a spare 16A MCB protected by one of the CU's
30mA RCDs and have no problems !!

Am I missing something or is the RCBO duff ........

If the RCBO powers up without tripping when no circuit wires are are
connected, and then trips when its test button is pushed, then its
probably ok.

--
Cheers,

John.

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

Toby, John, thanks for the fedback..

DOH .....
I should have known that but after fitting the RCBO the Neutral cct
connection is hidden at the back of the unit and I then proceeded to
connect the cct Neutral to the Busbar whilst all the time thinking
this doesn't seem right ..

Andy