Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default deck step measurement (confused)

On Jun 15, 7:39*pm, aemeijers wrote:
Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 19:33:36 -0400, PS wrote:

You're going to need to use 2x12s Your stairs will require 7 inch risers
and 10 inch treads.
Bob Vila's site has a video of this.
http://video.bobvila.com/m/21320810/...and-stairs.htm

As with all things that Boob Vila is involved with this almost has
something worthwhile. *It didn't answer the OP's question about the
angle of the deck relative to the ground.

Nice catch on pointing out the need for 2x12's instead of 2x8's.

G.S.

I'd put this in the 'life's too short' category, and buy precut treated
stringers from the deck aisle at the Borg. At most, they will need a
little trimming to match the as-found conditions, and to make sure the
rise and tread depth are the same for all the steps. (Some assume a face
board on the top, some don't, some assume bottom riser will be buried in
a lower deck, some don't. ) But all the hard parts will be done already.
I wouldn't pay the premium if I was putting up a dozen decks at a condo
complex, but for a one-time job, the convenience is worth it, IMHO. If
there isn't a concrete landing pad for the stringers already, scrape a
level spot with a shovel and put down 2-3 precast pavers- you don't want
the stringers sitting in dirt. You can dry-fit all the pieces basted
together with a few long spikes not driven home, to make sure it is all
square and level, fine-tuning as needed, before you do the final
assembly with hangers and deck screws. For 36" wide, I would use 3
stringers. Even with 2x6 treads, a 24" span in center will feel bouncy
for larger folks.

--
aem sends...

I agree. It is a simple set of steps but just using a carpenter
square to lay out the stringers even after you know what the run and
rise has to be is not
something that is common knowledge.

My first set of steps (1 story into basement) took me some studying to
get the layout right and I already knew how to use a square.

Harry K