Posted to alt.home.repair

Default PEX and compressed air

Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Steve Daniels" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:33:09 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled "Ralph Mowery" , to say:

I work where we have compressed air all over the plant. The
compressors
operate on 4160 volts to give an adea of the size.

Wow.

Thass a lot a volts.

Yes it is. The fuses for them are around 3 inches across and 2 feet long.
Where the high voltage is the 13,200 volts that feed transformers and is cut
to the 4160 and 480 volt 3 phase. I am not sure what voltage actually feeds
the plant as we do not deal with that. The 13,200 usually gets cut to 480
volts and is set up on breakers that trip around 400 amps. From there it
goes to panels that break it out to lower amp 480 volt circuits. This is a
very large plant. There are about 40 acers under roof. I am not sure how
they are counting it, but think it is including the number of floors. There
are several buildings and some of them have 7 floors. Most only have 3
floors.

When I worked at the Quajaline Missile Range, the largest
island was only 3 miles long so there was no need for a
higher voltage than 4160. The electrical superintendent
I was working with borrowed a wooden hot stick from the
island electric crew and it's a good thing he was wearing
high voltage gloves because the hot stick turned out to
be slightly damp, his hair stood on end. It was a fine day.

TDD