Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default Dehumidifier compressor thermal cut-out?

On Jun 16, 12:05*am, "Don Young" wrote:

I have not read this entire thread but it seems to me that your unit might
be low on refrigerant. I don't think the coil temperature should be below
freezing (frosting). If the coil is frosting at the inlet (small pipe) end
and is a lot warmer at the other end, it is almost surely low on
refrigerant.

Don Young- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Don: But don't think so! Now that I've got the unit to run
without cutting out after each couple of minutes it forms a heavy coat
of frosty ice evenly over the whole of the coil. The icing starts at
the input end of the coil and then just builds all over it.
Just like the other unit we have. That other unit especially when it
is at a humidistat setting that is too low for the basement area temp.
of around 55 to 60 degrees F builds up a layer of ice which and does
not stop to allow it melt off.

With (what I will call the temperature switch) removed the unit runs
continuously and all other aspects of the unit seem to be OK!

But I'm still not clear of the function of that device which was
clipped to outlet pipe of the cooling coils on it's way back to the
compressor! And was the only cut out in the neutral lead to the
compressor! Maybe it's function is to sense that the coils have
reached freezing? So then it stops the compressor allowing the ice to
melt off the coils. Thereby accomplishing de-humidification?

Anyway tomorrow will place the humidistat where it is normally,
directly in the air flow out of the unit, and see it how reacts when
the unit is plugged in and is run continuously. Looks like am getting
close to solution!