Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default PEX and compressed air

On Jun 15, 5:51*am, Hipupchuck wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:
Has anyone used PEX tubing to run compressed air in a shop?

I had copper air lines in my old garage and really liked it. *I'm
getting tired of tripping over rubber hoses in the new garage. *I think
one of my coworkers that I've loaned tools to before has a PEX crimper,
so if I can borrow a crimper is PEX worth the trouble for an easy 25'
run? *Or should I just go copper again now that Cu prices are dropping
again. *(of course with PEX, maybe I could buy a 100' roll and run a
line all the way around the garage instead of just down one side...)

Bob

Pressure is pressure, water or air. What's it rated at?

Pressure is pressure but air is not water.......its a stored energy
thing.

That's why pressure vessels are "hydro-tested" for re-
certification... a pressure vessel that fails when pressurized with
water, fails with a "spurt" not a "boom".

Most, but not all, plastics are not ok for compressed gas
applications ...its a matter of failure mode; ductile vs brittle.

As per Smitty Two's post....a LOT of machine shops / fab shops use PVC
for a quick and easy air systems BUT PVC for air is a major no-no.
Not just a silly rule...as PVC ages it gets brittle and a brittle gas
pressure vessel is a potential fragmentation grenade.

cheers
Bob

cheers
Bob