Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Let's talk radiant Barriers

On Jun 15, 4:25*pm, Mike Dobony wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:14:56 -0600, Bob-tx wrote:
I have been reading about everything I can find on radiant barriers,
but still have a few questions and concerns.

I am not talking new construction here, where radiant barrier can be
installed under the roof sheeting. *I am talking about existing
homes, and then, primarily the spray on type.

Here is what I think I understand - -

Sprayed on radiant barrier will cut down 65 to 75 percent of the
sun's radiation, - but I really don't know how much cooler that
makes the attic.

Sprayed on radiant barrier effectiveness depends primarily on the
people who do the work. *They can thin out the paint so it is much
less effective, they can spray it on to thin as well, and not get
the complete underside of the roof. *Most homeowners would never
know they didn't get a good job. *This is a major concern.

Dust on a radiant barrier surface decreases its effectiveness - the
more dust, the less effective. *Although there generally is not a
lot of dust floating around in most attics, it can be stirred up
easily. *For example, adding more insulation is a dusty procedure,
and if there is a previously installed radiant barrier, you will
decrease its effectiveness - to some varying extent.

There is a company that advertises radiant barriers for half price
(whatever that is) and free added insulation. *If they spray their
cheap radiant barrier (about which I would have concern about how it
was mixed/thinned) and then add the insulation - instant dust.

This company has been advertising for months with some fantastic
deal or other and will only quote prices through an in home
salesman. *I smell high pressure here.

Has anyone used this company? * *Has anyone used other companies to
spray a radiant barrier, and how satisfied are you?

I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I sure don't relish the
idea of getting ripped off. * Thanks,

Bob-tx

Not all radiant barriers are sprayed on. *Some are in sheets. *I had it
done to a house we are rehabbing and the difference is amazing! *- Hide quoted text -

How noticable was the difference, where was it used.