Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default PEX and compressed air

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
We've had at least a half dozen OSHA inspectors over the last 30 years.
None of them squawked about our PVC air lines. I wonder what's really up
with that. Seems odd to me that PVC could be rated to 200 psi or so and
then explode around 80 or 90. This strikes me as the freak accident
thing. The worst injury cited in your link was a broken nose.

Wonder what they'll outlaw next?

Smart people don't use it. Stupid people do. Sure, it may never happen,
but I've known of a couple of real cases where it has exploded and people
have been hurt, thought not seriously. Do you really want to take a chance?

PVC can deteriorate over time and exposure to UV. It can become brittle. It
is not made to take a lot of stress that compressible gasses can put on it.