Posted to alt.home.repair
charlie charlie is offline

Default PEX and compressed air

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:33:43 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

PVC is not allowed for air use.
If that's true, there's a few thousand machine shops who are breaking
some sort of rule. It's more or less the standard.

This is one I would like to see the Mythbusters test.

I understand the theory but I still wonder just how much PVC actually
shatters and how fast/far do the pieces go.
I did try to blow up a 1/2" sch40 PVC pipe (safely around the corner
of a block wall) in a similar manner with CO2 (~800 psi) and it didn't
break. I didn't pursue it farther. The next step was going be a couple
thousand PSI of Argon and that might bring the bomb squad ;-)
I was convinced PVC was pretty tough stuff.

My shop air is in steel pipe tho. If that breaks I know the metal will
be dangerous.

But what happens when the pipe is a few years old, and it's freezing cold,
and somebody bumps it with something metal?

Bob

or is exposed to uv light and is brittle?