Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Using Tub Spout with Diverter when there's no shower head

Todd wrote:
Folks,

I've got a new 8 inch tub spout with a diverter on it. I'd like to
use it on my new tub (that lacks a shower.) Any chance that I can use
a tub spout with a diverter in it even if there is no where to divert
to? Are there any issues with it?

- Thanks,

Todd

When someone drips the diverter valve it will close, and trap the water
pressure behind in. Depending on how well it seals, how are you going
to open it again? If you shut off the mixer valve, you'll trap pressure
between the two valves, keeping the diverter closed.

Since water is not compressible, it doesn't have to leak much to keep
this from being a problem, just thought I would mention it.

Bob