Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Going Rate?

John wrote:

SWMBO wants the hall stairs and landing decorated. I am not opposed to DIY
decorating but I am not good with planks, ladders and the like when it comes
to the long drops down the stairway. It is a fairly normal hall (10' x 6')
with a straight staircase and a landing at the top (12' x 4'), the ceilings
are normal height i.e. not the high old type.
She wants it wallpapered and I am not confident enough to do the stairs off
of a ladder and plank etc. (plus I haven't got a plank)! The wallpaper will
have a match (35cm) and the ceilings will be white emulsion. There are 8
doors and a loft hatch to gloss and all the relevant architraves and stair
runners. The carpet will not be down as she wants a new one!!
I appreciate you haven't seen it but can somebody give me a ball park figure
for a decorator to do this job, just so I know if the decorator I ask isn't
pulling a fast one? I did think about hiring a tower of some sort but
thought the money would be better off put towards a proffesional job and
also it would be done quicker.

£400 - 500 including paint. If you supply your own paper, make sure it
is good stuff, otherwise you may be charged more - it is a horrible job
trying to put up cheap wallpaper.
It would take me most of 4 days to do it properly.
Alan.