Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Foundations specification - fee

In article ,
Rob wrote:
I'm in the process of getting plans together for a small (3m x 1m) two
storey extension. I've had all the plans done, and the architect's just
sent off the building regs application to the LA.

I've just had a letter from an engineer, sent on the architect's
invitation, quoting £450 plus VAT and expenses to specify the
foundations. I hadn't expected this - I'd sort of assumed it was
included in the architect's £1000 fee. Anyway, just have to be done I
suppose, but is the fee about right?

Quite usual for architects to want a structural engineer's views on things
like that. It's called 'covering your arse'. When I had a fairly
involved roof conversion they did just that - but the structural engineer
put the boy on it who treated it as a thesis. Got drawings of padstones
and the calcs for them going to three pages - when the back of a fag
packet calc would have done.

--
*When did my wild oats turn to prunes and all bran?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.