Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Making a neat job with foaming polyurethane adhesive

Dan Smithers wrote:

Thanks Steve, I had been recommended this by several people who repair
wooden boats.

I think it's the best of the one-shot glues available, it takes the
place of the older phenolic/casein glues.

You're quite right, it is mainly my inexperience.

Eyeballing how much to use comes with practice. It's a good idea to play
with glueing scrap first to get a feel for it.

Can I use a spreader to make a thin layer (obviously disposable) or does
this upset the adhesive?

Yes, that's fine but you have to work fast. The glue starts to foam very
quickly.

Two-part epoxy filled with glass microballoon fillers as mentioned by
TheOldFellow is also good but it takes a different type of skill and it
also works out much more expensive IMO.

One trick you can use is wax to coat the bits you don't want to stick,
but this obviously causes problems later if you decide you want to glue
something to a part you have waxed. Another is to use masking tape
(preferably blue) to mask off bits of wood you don't want to have to
trim foam from.