Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan Smithers[_2_] Dan Smithers[_2_] is offline

Default Making a neat job with foaming polyurethane adhesive

Steve Firth wrote:
TheOldFellow wrote:

I think for a boat repair you would do better with a two part epoxy,
used with a filler to gap fill. It will be interesting to find out in a
year or so how the polyurethane glue worked out in the long run.

Foaming polyurethane glue is a standard glue for boatbuilding. I think
the only problem this time around was the user's inexperience. PU glue
foams much more than one would expect and it only needs a light smear of
glue, as you observed.

Thanks Steve, I had been recommended this by several people who repair
wooden boats.

You're quite right, it is mainly my inexperience. Can I use a spreader
to make a thin layer (obviously disposable) or does this upset the adhesive?