Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Photocopier - paper scratches on the OPC

On 6/14/2009 7:49 PM Bob Larter spake thus:

N_Cook wrote:

The rotating magnets + iron filings bring the toner close to the OPC

Modern laser printers & copiers use monocomponent toner, which has the
magnetic material in each toner particle. You're thinking of older
systems, which used a separate magnetic 'developer' powder to carry the
toner to the drum.

Reminds me of the old Kodak* copier I had when I owned a print shop; the
previous owner had bought it for something ridiculous like less than
$1000. The thing was a behemoth, and required lots of maintenance, but
when it was running it would whip out good copies all day long and not
even breathe hard.

I remember having to replace various parts of the "developer" system in
it. Very old school.

* Actually Kodak/Heidelberg, during their short partnership in imaging
systems.