Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default The U.S. Government Is Trying To Take Away Your Pocket Knives!

HeyBub wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
DGDevin wrote:
Bob S. wrote:

There are people out there that would insist that a fully
automatic weapon is a necessary hunting gun - right up until they
have been shot at by one.

Bob S.

Can you quote any of them? I've followed the arguments of the
gun-rights crowd somewhat, and I don't recall seeing anyone insist
that they need full-auto weapons for hunting. I'd be interested in
knowing where I could find statements from people that they need
machine guns for hunting, got any links handy?

Just today:

"[FREETOWN, Sierra Leone] 'We have forced water into the building
and some of the snakes trying to escape were shot by our men
carrying AK-47s...About 250 of the estimated 400 snakes who had
made the [police] station their home have been killed."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090613/od_nm/us_snakes

Huh? Once again you have found no statement that people need machine
guns for hunting, all that you have found is that some cops in Sierra
Leone used their issue AK-47s to shoot snakes. What would you have
had them do, waste time and money going off and obtaining more
politically correct firearms for that one incident when the ones they
were issued would do the job just fine?

Your point is well-taken, but we don't know whether they tried
shotguns, nets, or most any other devices.

Are police in Sierra Leone issued shotguns, nets, or most other devices?

We do know they tried
snake-charmers with poor results. It could be, as you suggest, they
simply used what's at hand. Or maybe they tried tear gas or
pepper-spray, rock music, pictures of Madonna, prayer, fasting, and a
call to the White House, but the only thing that sort-of worked was a
machine gun.

I thought you were asking for a civilian use for a machine gun and,
since I happened to see this article today, thought it might satisfy
your requirements.

You have clearly misunderstood the whole conversation then, as the point
about machine guns was that someone asserted in a disparaging manner that
someone else had asserted that they were _needed_ for hunting.