Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Cove radiant electric heating for my tool room

"Wes" wrote in message
"John" wrote:

You dont want to have your iron chill down so it takes a half a day to
bring
it up to a reasonable temp. I would try to seal up all the air leaks and
then set the thermostat to hold 45 deg. while you are not there. Think of
those machines as big ice cubes if they get cold. A hot air propane heater
will make your machines sweat and rust if it vents into the room. The
high
efficiency gas furnaces that put out water are real nice if you can get
one
cheap.

I'm building the room very tight and I'm using electric heat to keep any
moisture issues
from happening. Since there is nearly two tons of metal in the room, I'm
not going to be
able to cycle too low.

I've been playing with a couple calculators on the net and it looks like I
could keep it
at 70F for 240 bucks a year if I plugged the right numbers in.

Wes

Putting a small fan in the ceiling to blow the hot air to the floor will
reduce the heat losses in the ceiling.

John