Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Bush joke (parting shot)

Douglas Johnson wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote:

Right. Only Congress has the right to "declare" war. But the
president has the unfettered right to "wage" war.

The president's right to wage war is fettered by Congress's
willingness to pay for it. As a practical matter, that is not much
of a fetter. Once troops are in harm's way, it is almost impossible
for Congress to not "support our troops", even if the best way to
support them is to take them out of harm's way. -- Doug

Agreed. Teddy Roosevelt once wanted to send a navy flotilla around the world
to "show the flag." Congress refused to appropriate the money.

Roosevelt said: "I've got enough money to send the fleet HALF-WAY around the
world. Let's see if Congress will pay to get 'em back."

They did.