Bay Area Dave

Default Poly over Lacquer?

Before I tell you what I did let me say in large capital letters: I'M
NOT ADVOCATING THAT YOU DO THIS...BUT read on.

About 4 years ago I had several hundred feet of oak baseboard to stain
and finish. Knowing even less than I know now (hard to imagine, I
know!) I was told I could use Deft lacquer sanding sealer and Minwhacks
poly. So I did. The baseboards look fine even though they get whacked
by errant feet, the vacuum cleaner, and whatnot, for years. More than a
year or two after I installed them I got out a magnifier to read the
fine print on the cans and of course there in black and white, in type
any ant could read, it says don't use varnish over the sealer. The
Minwhacks poly says don't use over shellac or lacquer. So there you go,
I couldn't have used more incompatible products if I tried. Did the
baseboards self destruct? no. Did the finish flake off? no. Does it
look 'bad'? NO! Would I tempt fate again, now that I know? NO WAY

So why do they insist you can't do it? Hell if I know, but I'll take
them at their word and play their silly game. sigh.

dave

Jamie Jackson wrote:

Minwax site says no poly over lacquer. Do I have to sand to bare wood,
or is there a better way?

Thanks,
Jamie

Q. Can Polyshades® be applied over an existing finish?

Yes, as long as the previous finish is not lacquer or shellac. Be sure
to test the selected color on a hidden spot to see how it will look
over the original finish. To prepare the surface, make sure that the
finish is clean and has had all wax and polish removed. Then lightly
sand with #180 or #220 sandpaper. The surface is now ready to be
coated with Polyshades®.