Posted to rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_2_] Hawke[_2_] is offline

Default OT Stereotypes of "liberals" vs "conservatives"

Han wrote:

Society needs some kind of insurance, and the current system is
dysfunctional.

Dysfunctional? 300 million (out of 340 million) have insurance. Of
those, 80% or so are satisfied. Hardly dysfunctional.

Folks are screeching about 40 million of our population are uninsured!
Of these, 14 million are illegal aliens, about 8 million are between
employer-provided insurance, a few million are eligible for Medicaid
and will get it as soon as they apply in the emergency room, many are
young, healthy, cash-strapped people who choose not to have insurance,
plus a few lesser categories.

After doing all the arithmetic, we find there are exactly eight people
in the whole country without insurance who need it.

As a result, there are those who would chance screwing up the system
for 339,999,992 people so these eight would not be inconvenienced.

Bah!

So I have to pay an 8% surcharge on hy hospitalization costs so that 8
people in the US can get care? Hey, bud, you should check your
arithmetic. And if you are between jobs with the full benefits you're
used to, you suddenly have to pay $1300/mo for a family of 2 to keep your
insurance?

Hey, it's not the guy's fault. He's ignorant. He's never had a health
problem that threatened everything he owns. He's never had a health
insurance company cancel his policy because he has a problem they don't want
to pay for or he's never had them raise premiums so high he can't pay them,
and he's never had his employer drop his insurance and make him pay for it
himself. Everyone who has had any of those things happen or simply doesn't
have the money to afford insurance understands what is wrong. The good thing
is that it's only a matter of time before him or someone in his family has
one of those things happen. He'll sing a different tune when he or his wife
has cancer and his insurance company says the treatment isn't covered. Just
wait, it'll happen sooner or later. But that is what it'll take for him to
get it.

Hawke