Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Cove radiant electric heating for my tool room

"Wes" wrote in message
I was looking for a electric heater for the room I'm building to house my
lathe and mill
inside my garage. Since I heat the house with propane, it was pointed out
to me that
electric when considering the cost of a gas furnace is the way to go.

I was looking at floor mounted heaters when I came across ceiling cove
radiant heaters.
That sounds interesting. Anyone have experience with them? Heat is heat
but since I
plant to keep the room at idle when I'm not in there, having directed heat
at me where I
stand between lathe and mill (located opposite) sounds like a good plan.

Northern michigan, R30 ceiling R22 to R26 depending on which wall.

Comments welcomed.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

You dont want to have your iron chill down so it takes a half a day to bring
it up to a reasonable temp. I would try to seal up all the air leaks and
then set the thermostat to hold 45 deg. while you are not there. Think of
those machines as big ice cubes if they get cold. A hot air propane heater
will make your machines sweat and rust if it vents into the room. The high
efficiency gas furnaces that put out water are real nice if you can get one
cheap.

Electric is the cheapest in the short run and for the size of the room there
won't be much difference in the difference.

Build yourself a wind generator and tie it to a radiant heater. 500 watts
should be enough running continiously.

John