Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com is offline

Default extension cord 12 gauge 75 ft vs 100 ft for lawn mower

On 14 Jun 2009 03:10:18 GMT,
(robby) wrote:

I have just bought a 19 in electric lawn mower.
Nameplate ampere rating on it is 12 Amps and I am trying to decide on the
extension cord. 75 ft of cord length will be enough to take me to the
farthest point in the lawn, and I understand I am better off buying 12
gauge cord for this purpose. You get either 25 ft or 50 ft or 100 ft cords
in the market that are 12 guage.

The question is should I connect a 50 ft and 25 ft, or am I just better
off using a single 100 ft cord for this purpose. How much am I reducing
the voltage going to the lawn mower when I use a 100 ft instead of 75 ft.
If it does not matter it might be better to have a 100 ft to give myself
additional maneuvrability.

What does the manual say you should be using?

I used 100 of 12 gauge for many years on my old electric
mower. I suspect you will not experience any problems with that
setup. The idea of two 50 footers is not bad either.

I don't remember what the draw was on my old electric and your
mower could be more sensitive to voltage drop than mine.

I finally gave that mower to the people who bought my last
home and I bought a new battery mower. So far three or four years and
I still like it.