Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Reason For Dead Phones?

"Murriel" wrote in message
Worsening static and now completely dead. The phones test OK on the
network interface device box attached to the exterior siding of the
house, which suggests that the problem is inside the house. We have a
maintainance policy for inside the house. Could this problem be due
to mice chewing wires? If so is there a danger? -- Worried

When I was living in my trailer and had my phone wires strung though the
bushes someone was chewing on my phone wires. I think it was rabbits.
After a while the copper would oxidize and begin to short out with the other
wire. They seemed to only chew on the live wires. Not enough voltage in
their diets, I guess. It would start out as static and get worse.