Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default The U.S. Government Is Trying To Take Away Your Pocket Knives!

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Han wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote in
:

Han wrote:

I don't understand. I am the fatalist, I believe that when your
number is up, you're gonzo. But does that mean that we have to
condone lunatics who hatch murderous plans?

Of course. When your number is up, who better to make you gonzo?

;-)

I see your wink, and I take it that you really don't condone von
Brunn's actions any more than those of the 9/11 hijackers.

I'm curious as to why you seem to be condoning the actions of the other
several thousand murderers who commit their crimes every year and singling
out this one guy who shot an armed security guard.

This isn't really a response to the above, it simply adds dimension to the
complexity of the issues at hand.

Another aspect of criminal/terrorist deterrent discussion that seldom seems
to come up is the notion of "goal oriented attackers." If someone is bent on
causing harm weapons substitution will get them around any legal
restrictions on guns, knives, or explosives. As an example of how anything
could be used as a weapon a recent episode of Time Warp had a guy using
everything from ball point pens to scissors to screwdrivers and crowbars as
"throwing" weapons. Jackie Chan's movies bring up even more examples... even
if some are bizarre! Ban handguns and then more lethal long guns become more
prevalent.

Add in common household chemicals, simply ignoring the restrictions on
"real" weapons, and the theft of "real" weapons (even from police and
military) and a goal oriented attacker can still carry out his deeds. Add
in substance abuse, mental defect, and a zeal for control as motives and it
becomes clear that it is impossible to stop all of it... especially the lone
wolf types who keep their mouths shut.

It's a pretty interesting subject for which there are no "sound bite"
answers.

Anyhow, back on the topic of the Customs proposals and things like utility
knives and box knives suddenly become illegal... so substitute a fixed blade
sheathed knife for work or crime and they've accomplished nothing. First
responders often have need for one hand operation as well as those with
disabilities. Thus they'd also be hurting "legitimate" users even if they
think people don't need the functionality.

John