Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Testing 3-way dimmer with a digital voltmeter

"Jim O'Brien" wrote in message
Hi,

We are suspecting that our 3-way dimmer by Leviton is defective. We
are trying to run connectivity tests with a digital voltmeter, and
very high resistance (1.6MOhms). Perhaps the mechanism in these
devices is such that it cannot be measured with a cheapo digital
voltmeter?

Thanks!

Too technical, forget the meter. First, if you have a Leviton dimmer, it's a
pos, so just get a Lutron of your choice and replace it. When you have the
existing dimmer out of the wall for "testing", remove it from the three
wires, noting the common wire. Touch the common wire to each of the
travelers. One of the two connections should turn on the light. Flip the
other switch in the circuit, then touch the common to the travelers again,
and this time the other connection should make the lights come on. If things
don't happen as I describe, you have a wiring problem