Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Photocopier - paper scratches on the OPC

Jim Yanik wrote in message
"N_Cook" wrote in
:

David Nebenzahl wrote in message
.com...
On 6/13/2009 5:42 AM Jim Yanik spake thus:

toner is a wax compound.waxes are also lubricants.

That's not my understanding: from what I've read, toner is basically
a mixture of pigment (carbon black or equivalent) and plastic
(styrene) that melts onto the printed substrate (paper).

Maybe you're thinking of phase-change/sublimation printing (e.g.,
Xerox/Tektronix Phaser), which does use wax as the carrier.

Heh.I worked for TEK for 21.5 years.
their thermal wax process is a sort of wax-jet deposition thru a

printhead.
I've had pretty good looks at TEK's printer mechanics.

just feel the toner that's fused onto the paper;it feels waxy.
Googling showed several references to wax for copier toner.

I would agree with that summary but add that there are surfactants
added to assist in even distribution of the toner over the OPC,
otherwise the coarse distribution of the iron filings transfer process
would be rather patchy.

Isn't it done by electrostatics?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The rotating magnets + iron filings bring the toner close to the OPC and
then the electrostatic voltage on the OPC, set up by the corona wire, pulls
the toner across the gap. Then there should be an even charge distribution,
but although very fine ground, it is finite size and the surfactants can
help to allow easier flow.
This maybe the key to the problem . What is the charge distribution over a
semiconductor surface that instead of being perfectly smooth, has very fine
scratches around it ? Maybe it is possible to reduce the corona voltage.
Previously mistyped as 7.3KV, actually 8.3KV, I've not looked into that
area, separate HV board somewhere, just measured the voltage at the corona
housing .