Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why do some Honda engines oscillate at idle?

iwdplz wrote:
The interesting thing is that all 3 of these engines would run great
under normal load (while cutting grass, while pumping water, while
spraying). The fluctuation only happens at idle or under non-operating
load.

I believe that's what the engineers refer to
as the governor hunting. There must be some
way to increase the hysteresis of the speed
control system for those engines. I've seen
a lot of small engines fluctuate under non-
load conditions and sometimes something as
simple as a new muffler will straighten it
out. When my friend's chainsaw was running
poorly, surging and such, we got the manual
out and adjusted every needle valve on the
thing by the book and it solved the problem.

TDD