Posted to balt.general,alt.home.repair
Murriel[_4_] Murriel[_4_] is offline

Default Reason For Dead Phones?

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 06:20:53 -0700 (PDT), professorpaul
wrote:

=A0We have a
maintainance policy for inside the house. =A0Could this problem be due
to mice chewing wires? =A0If so is there a danger? -- Worried

The mice are the ones to worry... the voltage on the wires is around
75 Volts, DC, on an open line, IIRC. Enough to get their attention,
but NOT a fire hazard, as the current is limited in the local loop.

Thanks, that's a relief.

Since you do have a contract, now is the time to call the. You might
check -- are ALL interior jacks giving trouble, or just one or two? If
only one, check for loose wire, just tighten them down a tad.

Called Verizon Friday and they said a tech would be here Monday, which
is hard to believe. In the past, we've had to wait five or more days
for service, and now with much of their resources being allocated to
FIOS, I expected an even longer wait. Now let's see if he shows up
Monday.