Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Savage Richard Savage is offline

Default petrol brushcutter...is this correcdt?

Steven Campbell wrote:
Bought a petrol Ryobi brushcutter yesterday.
I was under the impression that once the motor was fired up, the cutting
head would spin all be it slowly
If I pull the trigger and the revs go up considerably, the head will spin
but as soon as I introduce it to the heavy overgrowth it stops spinning. Its
not until I have it revved up to the full amount (or at least it seems that
way) that it will spin and cut without problem
Is this correct?

Thanks

Steven.

I have a Ryobi brushcutter.

Just to avoid missunderstanding; yours has a, basically square, cutting
disc with crescent moon shaped bites out of all four sides?

This is what mine has and nothing short of jamming it against a sapling
that is too thick to cut stops the full throttle rotation. At idle the
centrifugal clutch drags just enough for the disc to turn unless it is
resting against something.

It's very much an off or on operation and is a pain until the motor has
warmed fully.

HTH

Richard