Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim.. Tim.. is offline

Default petrol brushcutter...is this correcdt?

Krusty wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:

"Krusty" wrote in message
Steven Campbell wrote:

Bought a petrol Ryobi brushcutter yesterday.
I was under the impression that once the motor was fired up, the
cutting head would spin all be it slowly If I pull the trigger and
the revs go up considerably, the head will spin but as soon as I
introduce it to the heavy overgrowth it stops spinning. Its not
until I have it revved up to the full amount (or at least it
seems that way) that it will spin and cut without problem Is this
correct?
Yes, & the instructions probably say as much.
First place I looked, nothing in there.

Just checked mine (Ryobi Expand-It) & it says in big bold letters near
the start of the 'Operating the Trimmer' section: 'Always operate
trimmer at full throttle'.

Oddly enough I just did some strimming, and basically its dosn't really
work at anything BUT full throttle. Buggers run out of nylon cord too. fun
time winding more more on tomorrow, not!

I have just bought a new Stihl FS130, which is more of a semi-professional
machine, with one of the new-fancgled-2-stroke-but-isn't motors on it.

Anyhow, rather peeved me to notice that Stihl now bundles the standard head
with totally pointless and eco-green-coloured, "low noise" & crap 1.0mm
line, that rattles around in the metal gromits... It is about as useless as
spaggetti for cutting with. Breaks when you show it some dense vegetation,
usually within the spool inside the head. Much cursing!

1.6mm square section line now installed and a different machine altogether,
a total animal.

Tim.