Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Photocopier - paper scratches on the OPC

"N_Cook" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote in message
"N_Cook" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote in message
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

In that are is what looked like an afterthougt 1W resistor to
ground, marked brown black brown. Surely not if a few hundred
volts there. With a good light brought into the area I could
then see it is brown black
purple.
Just an ordinary looking MO resistor, enamelled ,no glass
encapsulation,
but
1 Gigohm.

Wouldn't that be 100M? (10 x 10^7)

yes.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I'm not used to seing that colour combination.
Measured about 1000Meg, by comparison with a glass cased 1Gohm ,
with a high voltage source, it is grey not purple on the third band
on rechecking.

I'm surprised it would stay 1G for any length of time,with an enamel
coating.

maybe you could post a pic of it.I wonder who makes them?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Its just a light blue bodied resistor that looks like any other except
for an unusual colour code. It must be there to discharge any
accumulated charge inside the developer chamber. A resistor with a
crimp eye terminal at either end, looking a bit afterthoughtish.
Whether it is 500M or 2000Meg probably does not matter. I imagine it
could be difficult to make a high resistivity spiral of metal oxide,
from my own attempts at making resistive compound for 1 meg pot
tracks, very patchy resistivity

As for main thread I got into the generator circuit and temporarily
upped the retract ? voltage up to 350V , for a test. Black lines still
there and I think the image intensty was reduced as well, ie wanted
charged, latent image bits, partially retracted back to the developer,
so no solution there.

Apparently, from an industrial chemist, it is possible to get fine
ground pure carbon black from chemical supply companies for some sort
of filters , not activated charcoal. All laser and copier toner these
days have silicone oil added , perhaps to avoid the use of silicone
oil bath/wicks at the output fuser stage. Enough oil carries through
to the output to keep the paper from sticking to the supposed
non-stick finish of the fuser roller or its pressure roller.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

toner is a wax compound.waxes are also lubricants.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik