Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob G[_3_] Rob G[_3_] is offline

Default Top hung window needs a fastener

On 13 June, 00:10, "Cash"
wrote:
robgraham wrote:
I've fitted a window to my new workshop which I think is defined as
'top hung', but has friction hinges at the side so that I can open it
out and up, and slide in long sections of wood straight onto the
bench.

The multilever side hinges cope with the hinging and the 'staying
open', but what does the collective suggest I use for the 'staying
closed' bit. *The similarly hinged windows in my modern extension have
a handle and lever operating lock into the frame but I don't know
whether you can get such things or whether there is something simpler
joinerywise that is around.

Thanks for any assistance

Rob

It's called a sash fastener - it can be fitted to the sill or stiles of the
sash. *Most builders merchants or good hardware stores would probably stock
them.

Cash

Thanks guys - I've found what I think I could use - a 'shoot bolt'

http://www.reddiseals.com/acatalog/w...hoot_bolt.html

Has anyone any experience of fitting one of these to a timber framed
window ? Would I be right in thinking that the bolt part just runs in
a slot on the underside of the bottom rail ?

Rob