Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default HOA smacks down free speech

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

Larry Caldwell wrote:

Freedom OF religion includes freedom FROM religion. How would you
feel if a judge made you sacrifice a chicken to the Loa before
testifying in court? Or a teacher started each day by having your
children channel the spirits?

But what if your religion mandates proselytizing? Or your religion
mandates imposing your rules on infidels?

If I were a Christian and the government said I couldn't participate
in the Eucharist or (if Catholic) I couldn't go to Confession or join
a Holy Order, I'd be a tad disappointed. If I were a Muslim woman and
the authorities said I had rights, my husband would be upset.

I understand there's a difference between proselytizing on a front
porch and passing out tracts in the schoolroom, but, to the religious
person, the venue is irrelevant.

I, personally, would like to see the public schools offer, say, an
hour's worth of religious instruction per week. The teaching could be
done by experienced lay people and, when the bell rings, kids would
decamp to the room housing their preferred denomination: Baptist,
Catholic, Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, Undeclared, Whatever. Moreover, kids
could rotate between the groups thereby gaining an understanding of
those poor *******s doomed to Hell.

The teaching could be done by
experienced lay people

I'm glad you type decent and the G and L are on opposite sides.