Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Smith Richard Smith is offline

Default Breathing air from a compressor

Richard J Kinch writes:

You breathe more oil fog and vapor cooking dinner.

Yeah, but that's vegetable oil, not mineral oil ...

So what? You're just being superstitious. Please explain the organic
chemistry if you assert some hazard to mineral oil. Mineral oil is in the
USP. People coat their skin with it and drink it medicinally. It is in all
kinds of cosmetics applied near sensitive tissues.

Mineral oil is a legal food additive in the USA.

Maybe you're confused by the indiscriminate "harmful or fatal" warnings.

We breathe mineral oil fog and vapor all day long in a metalworking
environment from hot chips.

You should use non-detergent types without the additives, not automotive
motor oil, if there will be bodily exposure.

Breathing air fed off the compressed air main is done commercially -
see it in foundry fettling shops. For a person working in a fixed
position, it gives a light-weight uninterrupted feed.

Here's equipment I've seen - "3M" Co's website

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal...Z C6FRTPMWXgl

3M Aircare Air Filter Units

The 3M Aircare 500GR Air Filtration Units for preparation of compressed air for the 3M range of Supplied-Air Respirators

or PDF:

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal...Z C6FRTPMWXgl

"Supplied Air Range Brochure - Data Sheet (PDF 1.4 MB)"

Richard Smith