Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default What are these?

On 2009-06-13, Michael Koblic wrote:

[ ... ]

I have gone through the auction loot for the umpteenth time (on this
occasion with a view of adapting the tiny little QCTP to my Taig -
see
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2768312...7618494533622/
for those interested - hardly a moon rocket!).

One feature which is missing is a stop on each tool holder which
can be adjusted so every time you drop it on the toolpost it is at the
same height. Normally it consists of a threaded stud projecting
upwards from the tool holder with a knurled nut on that to engage the
top of the toolpost, and a smaller standard hex nut to lock it in
place. Each tool goes in its own holder and is preset for height, so
when you swap tools during a project, you don't have to keep
adjusting the height every time you change.

Especially as each toolholder has slightly different dimension :-)

I saw the stops on the commercially available QCTP from the Little Machine
Shop and on several that people made themselves from scratch. In all honesty
the person who made *this* toolpost did not think things through. Even I
know enough now not to design it that way. However...it's there. The best I
can say is that I can use the 10 or so 3/16 toolbits which I could have done
before only with a lot of shimming. I cannot see myself adding the stops to
all 15 or so toolholders. I would rather design something from scratch,
allowing me to have a handle at the top of the QCTP and the ability to
attach at least two toolholders at the same time as well as the stops etc.
etc. (I think the originator thought he would attach 4 toolholders at the
same time - in its present form the toolpost does not allow this.) OTOH come
to think of it each toolholder has 3 set-screws so maybe I can draft the
middle one for this duty (or replace it by a suitable post).

Or I can splash $100 on the commercially available QCTP. I understand that
the toolholders that come with it include one for parting tools although the
details are sketchy. Parting has been a major problem - the only parting
tool I have has been ground at a slight angle from a 1/4 toolbit so it binds
and chatters terribly. I have not got around to grinding another one.

Note, BTW, that the tool you have in the photos is probably a
bit of an overload for the Taig -- a large radius round nose tool.
You want something with a much smaller radius for most cutting, so
you don't load the motor down so much.

I only put it in the holder to measure the height - the top of the round
nose is nice and flat and when fiddling with the gauge etc. less likely to
draw blood.

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC