Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Telephones and networks

coughed up some electrons that declared:

On 12 June, 16:28, GMM wrote:

Any thoughts/experiences gratefully received.
Cheers

One random thought - don't rely on wifi any more than you have to. Put
in cat 5 cable from the router. I did this all over the house back in
2004 much to the amusement of friends who told me wireless was the way
forward. Having just started streaming video to our telly from a file
server I'm glad that I did. Wifi is OK for basic surfing from a
laptop, but for anything more demanding it's not up to the job.

Cheers!

Martin

I agree - Panasonic Inverter microwaves totally bugger my Wifi. Changing the
antenna polarisation helps, but it's still fairly naff. Almost naff enough
to make me consider trying 802.11a (5GHz) - although the wall penetration
of "a" is poor...

Cables to main points. Wifi for flexibility.