Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default HOA smacks down free speech

wrote:
clipped

I, personally, would like to see the public schools offer, say, an
hour's worth of religious instruction per week. The teaching could
be done by experienced lay people and, when the bell rings, kids
would decamp to the room housing their preferred denomination:
Baptist, Catholic, Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, Undeclared, Whatever.
Moreover, kids could rotate between the groups thereby gaining an
understanding of those poor *******s doomed to Hell.

You left out Scientology, wiccam (sp?), voodoo, etc.

Under "Whatever"

I like the idea
of taking children to church/temple/synagog for religious training -
helps the whole family learn and practice their beliefs. Of course,
there is often little of that going on at home, what with a six-pack
to finish off every evening, parents in jail or under the influence of
____.

Yeah, I had a rabbi tell me that when pop drops off junior at Hebrew school
on the way to the golf course, junior learns pretty quickly what's important
in life.

You seriously want to pass on to government the last aspect of
family life not already pawned off to public schools? Really? My
parents learned more by 8th grade than I did by 12th, and it now
takes a B.S. to learn to spell....schools too busy busing, feeding
and raising kids to actually teach.

That's not the fault of the school concept - put the blame on the
educationists. Just as one grandmother is equivalent to three pediatricians,
one teacher is better than thirty "educators."

A few years ago, I did some research. The following, at that time, were
forbidden, by law, to teach in the public schools of my state (Texas)

* All living Nobel Laureates
* All winners of Pulitzer, Newberry, Caldecott, Edgar, and most other
literary prizes.
* Most members of the federal judiciary
* Most members of Congress
* All members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff
* All living ex-presidents and vice-presidents
* Virtually the entire faculty of the University of Texas College of
Medicine

Why? Because they had concentrated their endeavors on wiping out Polio,
leading vast armies in combat, or wrestling with issues of civil rights,
instead of learning advanced blackboard techniques in an accredited college
of education.