Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default HOA smacks down free speech

Larry Caldwell wrote:

Freedom OF religion includes freedom FROM religion. How would you
feel if a judge made you sacrifice a chicken to the Loa before
testifying in court? Or a teacher started each day by having your
children channel the spirits?

But what if your religion mandates proselytizing? Or your religion mandates
imposing your rules on infidels?

If I were a Christian and the government said I couldn't participate in the
Eucharist or (if Catholic) I couldn't go to Confession or join a Holy Order,
I'd be a tad disappointed. If I were a Muslim woman and the authorities said
I had rights, my husband would be upset.

I understand there's a difference between proselytizing on a front porch and
passing out tracts in the schoolroom, but, to the religious person, the
venue is irrelevant.

I, personally, would like to see the public schools offer, say, an hour's
worth of religious instruction per week. The teaching could be done by
experienced lay people and, when the bell rings, kids would decamp to the
room housing their preferred denomination: Baptist, Catholic, Muslim, Jew,
Buddhist, Undeclared, Whatever. Moreover, kids could rotate between the
groups thereby gaining an understanding of those poor *******s doomed to
Hell.