Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait Tom Wait is offline

Default Red Tape- the good kind

"Ivan Vegvary" wrote
Chris, YOU BEAT ME TO IT!! Congratulations. \
I was going to do an identical product 14 years ago, got lazy and never
followed through.
Here is my idea of highest and best use.

1) Sell to people putting up horizontal siding (clapboard). Pre-mark

tape
on 8" centers, or whatever. Staple several strips vertically from the

eave
down to the ground and install siding thereon. The beauty is that the

tape
gets buried and must be repurchased. Definitely a time saver!
2) Same idea as above but sell to roofers. Mylar is much more
dimensionally stable than roofing paper with white lines. Again, product
gets buried, leading to more sales.
3) Teach construction (housing primarily) foreman to lay out all of the
walls, doors, windows, king studs, penetrations etc. on the tape. The
carpenters in the field simply staple it to the plate and follow the
graphics. This can be done whether the plate is in-place or tipped

waiting
for a tilt-up wall. This is especially useful in tract building where the
homes are similar.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!!

Ivan Vegvary

I don't want to be a naysayer, but I've been a carpenter for 40+ years doing
60% commercial 40% residential/stick building and a lot of it
remodeling/repairing. In my whole career I've never longed for a product
like this. Brick/block layers have storypoles, roofers have lines on felt
and ice/water shield, also pins on their hatchet head to gauge 5" or
whatever, as a siding applicator I put a notch on my hammer handle 8" from
the end of the handle to gauge the siding, framers have stud spacing on
their tapes, IOW there are tricks for every trade to do this job and most of
the tricks are free or nearly so. This tape would sell to homeowners or
inexperienced craftsmen who don't know any better and tool junkies who just
think it's cool. I am a tool junkie, and think it's cool but I've filled up
every tool box I have and there is no more room in the shop.
Tom