Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] cs_posting@hotmail.com is offline

Default stress strain of roller chain

On Jun 11, 11:57*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:

The chain mfrs list the maximum allowable tension for low speed
drives, but I don't recall ever seeing tabulated values for the
"stretchiness" of chain. It'd be easy enough to estimate by treating
the sideplates as a solid strip.

I wonder if this is a valid model

In other words, if you had an imaginary chain made of steel with
infinite yield strength, 1.5 million pounds would stretch a length of
#40 chain to twice its original length. In other, other words, a 100
inch length of real #40 chain will stretch about .007" under a 100#
load.

Specifically, I would expect that play in the plain bearing between
the
links would add up to more than .007