Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default petrol brushcutter...is this correcdt?

Steven Campbell wrote:
Bought a petrol Ryobi brushcutter yesterday.
I was under the impression that once the motor was fired up, the cutting
head would spin all be it slowly
If I pull the trigger and the revs go up considerably, the head will spin
but as soon as I introduce it to the heavy overgrowth it stops spinning. Its
not until I have it revved up to the full amount (or at least it seems that
way) that it will spin and cut without problem
Is this correct?

Certainly its possible to stall the head..mine did that..until I
reassembled it to reduce the spaces into which nettle fibres were
drawn..someone should make rope out of nettles..its extremely tough.

But you can hear it labouring..

Its probably not good to have the clutch slipping though. Maybe you have
burned yours out already.

It should spin freely once the motor cuts back to idle I think. So if
you rev and then stop, the head should stay spinning a while.

Check for binding everywhere esp. if you have been at the nettles.

Thanks

Steven.