Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default One for the Bearing Guru's

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:24:14 -0400, Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Anyone know whether a 35 or 36mm ID bearing can be purchased off the
shelf from someone with an OD less than 46.5MM?

I'm guessing it has to be a roller bearing or needle bearing if it
exists, but I honestly don't know where to start for such a large one as
all my bearing usage is smaller than that...

I'd love one with an inner and outer race rather than a needle bearing
because the needle bearings take out the shaft they run on when they
disintegrate... But I'll settle for any answer that can be found right
now.

Thanks for any help that can be offered!

Personally, I don't know anyone with an OD less than 46.5mm.

There are such critters, but I'm not sure about "off the shelf", nor
about price. The ones I see go by are at one of my clients that does
aerospace work; from them I know that you can basically get any ID/OD
difference you want in a ball bearing, in ever-thinner rings. But the
special ones _aren't_ off the shelf, the prices make me gasp, and I don't
know the manufacturers.

Do you want me to collect supplier's names when I go in there this
afternoon?

--
www.wescottdesign.com