Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Running cable through an outside wall

"SBH" wrote in message

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jun 9, 9:03 pm, "SBH" wrote:
Though, I haven't taken a good look yet to the possibility of this but
how
difficult is it to run cable through an outside wall on a bungalow? It
was a
small addition to the kitchen on the back of the house (was there when we
purchased). Below it is a crawlspace and above it is an attic which
doesn't
appear to have an access, not even through the main attic space, It's
puzzling as to how I will get in there.

I know it's difficult to answer without seeing, but all suggestions are
appreciated.

Thank you

I guess it depends on what you mean by "through" the wall.

"Through the wall" could mean bringing the wire from outside the
bungalow into the room or "through the wall" could mean from one
location inside the bungalow to another location inside the bungalow.

Please clarify.

Thanks for the reminder. After reading the replies, I see what you mean.

My apologies for the lack of details.

I want to run/add a television cable from the already existing terminal
located in the basement, up through the floor to the kitchen inside the
exterior wall. The same as you would for any other type of outlet (phone,
switch, etc.) through the floor and inside an interior wall such as a
bedroom. Not running a cable from the outside to inside, but all inside.
I have run cables, phone lines, electrical wiring, etc. through many other
walls in this house as well as others, but never inside a wall which is
the exterior wall of a house. Therefore, I have no idea if there's much of
a difference. Viewing the joists in the basement it just seems a bit
difficult to gain access. It appears the thickness of the wall lies on the
foundation and makes it difficult to snake any type of wiring.

Thanks again.

It can be difficult or impossible to drill up into an exterior wall cavity
from below if the foundation is too thick. If you can see any other cables
drilled up from below, in that same area, you can use their location as a
guide. You don't want to come up through the floor or through the siding