Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default garage door opener

trailer wrote:
thanks for the replies.

we are kind of updating our house, and I just thought the garage door
opener was probably nearing the end of its life. it does have a
couple of minor problems that could probably be corrected by
adjustments.

and I assumed that newer openers had better safety features and
security features. recently, the springs broke (middle of door with
long rod thru it) and the door almost fell on the car. but no damage
done.

but-maybe I'll keep this one for awhile.

again, thanks for replies.

I've got a 31-year-old, chain-drive, Craftsman. About ten years ago, I
replaced the worn nylon gears. It continues to work well. It has had one
upgrade: A CFL replaced the regular bulb about a year ago. And I added
grease to the chain about a decade back.

As for your sprung springs, they're not part of the opener.

Regarding safety features, don't you want your children to have all the
opportunities you had?