Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Water alarms

Phisherman wrote:
On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 14:39:21 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
What are the best water alarms? Neede for an air conditioner
overflow tray on the attic floor, utility room, kitchen and under
an aquarium. Thanks.

For an AC, the normal case is another drain leading outside. If you
see it dripping when you mow the law, raise the alarm.

Aside:
I recently added a pipe with a cap on it to the evaporator unit. My
plan is to dump a cup or so of bleach in there once a year to bother
the algae and moss and fungus and whatever else grows there that
stops up the drain.

There is an overflow PVC pipe but the tray has to fill up with several
gallons of water before it starts to drip on the deck. The main A/C
drain gets clogged up and I flush out the debris with a garden hose
twice a year. I found that bleach may help, but it still requires
flushing. I want to avoid water damage.

I don't think you need a garden hose. Simply blowing in the discharge pipe
will loosen the jam. If you put a cup of bleach in the reservoir before you
blow, the resultant river should kill the algae.